Friday, December 12, 2014

12 Days Later...


An Update

12 days in to my new feet!!! 12 days post-surgery!!! 12 days til Christmas!!! 

Here are some things that I have found to be imperative during the recovery period:

1. Ask for Help
By nature, I am a control freak. It is important that I am independent, strong-willed, and can do things on my own. I'm telling you... for the last 12 days, I have relied on my family & friends for moral support, love, assistance, conversation, etc. My boyfriend has been my partner-in-crime. He has carried me through this ordeal, literally. Without such incredible support, I would be a mess. 

2. At least 3 weeks of vacation/sick leave, FMLA, PLOA, short term disability, supplemental income... etc.
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE have your finances in order and at least some way to supplement your income during the time you are out for surgery. I work from home, and am unable to work. I'm physically, emotionally, spiritually, and psychologically exhausted... I cannot do it. I'm not sleeping well and the mornings are difficult to get through. 

3. A Shower Seat
It has been 12 days since I have taken a shower. GET A SHOWER SEAT and A BUCKET. 

4. A Hobby, Good Books, and Netflix. 
I have learned to knit in 2 weeks and have completed 2 children's hats. I haven't read as much as I would have liked but, by next week, I plan to have 2 books read. Netflix is a lifesaver. I'm not much of a TV watcher, therefore having movies at my fingertips has been amazing.

5. A Recliner
Folks, I'm telling you, your recliner will suddenly become your best friend. Add a couple of extra pillows and - WALLAH - comfort. 

6. A Wheelchair
No matter how you feel about it, GET A WHEELCHAIR and A HANDICAP STICKER. You can find super cheap ones at your local thrift store. It has become a lifesaver. The handicap sticker speaks for itself. If you're out and about, use the motorized chairs at the grocery store and big box retailer. AHHHHH...


Out and About :)

7. Snacks 
You will need to keep crackers or something near your recovery chair/area. The medications will likely make your stomach upset. 

8. A Podiatrist with a Good Bedside Manner and Goodies
My podiatrist, Dr. Perez, has everything I need to make my life a bit easier. The therapeutic boots, the shower covers, a smile, and a listening ear. I have his direct cell phone number if there is an emergency and his office representative has called several times to ensure I am okay. I submitted my FMLA paperwork, it was faxed to my employer the next day. I'm telling you, Alamo Family Foot and Ankle Care is incredible. 


Let the showers begin!!! 
a MUST HAVE item

I will continue to add to the list as I think of things. 

Here's to a good recovery! Cheers!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment