Saturday, November 15, 2014

Fixing my Feet (Bilateral Bunionectomy)

The content of this blog is mostly opinion, it is a subjective report of my pre- and post- surgery journey. I hope, in some way, it assists others during their time of preparation. Feel free to comment, but negative, hurtful comments are not welcomed. 

Blogs are vulnerable places for bloggers. 




Background and Exposition

Now, I am quite aware that I have no room to complain about my feet when others don't have them, some that have them are not able to use them to walk, some are not able to afford surgery to fix their feet, etc. So, let me begin by saying...


I AM THANKFUL TO HAVE FULLY FUNCTIONAL FEET. 

In addition, it is true that we are all overly critical of ourselves, see: 
Dove Real Beauty Sketches - YouTube @  http://realbeautysketches.dove.us/. 

I am my own best and worst critic. So... here goes.





My Reality


My feet have never been beautiful. I would like to think that The Fates would have granted me, a post-Boomerang black female, more attractive feet - sigh - but, no. In fact, I was born with special feet, passed down from my mother and father. My feet are a result of a childhood chock full of foot braces, orthopedic shoes, and orthodics. At 14, I dove out of my podiatrist-recommended shoes and plunged head first into my first pair of heels. At 34, my closet is full of wedges, 5" heels, crazy awesome boots, authentic cowboy boots, and Adidas dance sneakers with 3" heels. At last count, minus my gym sneakers, I have  157 pairs of shoes, and not a single pair of flats.

As you can imagine, my shoes have manhandled my feet. 

In August, I decided that it was time to revisit my foot problems to get an accurate description of the impact my shoes have had on my feet. Plus, I was in a great deal of pain.


September 12, 2014


After seeing the x-rays my podiatrist at Alamo Family Foot and Ankle Care, Dr. Richard Perez, http://podlink.com/doctors/perez.php, stated very clearly,

"Your feet are in bad shape. You need surgery on, at least the right one. Preferably both. If you don't, you will surely regret it."

Me: Um... does this mean I won't be able to wear heels??? I don't have anything else.
Dr. Perez: (smiling) Seems like you need to find a better reason to put off your surgery. Your footwear should be the last thing on your mind, especially since it is likely that your shoes negatively impact these feet of yours.
Me: When do I need to have surgery?
Dr. Perez: Yesterday or Monday
Me: I CANNOT HAVE SURGERY ON MONDAY!!!

We decided to start on the right foot on December 1st.


November 14, 2014

Dr. Perez: (smiling) Let's just do both feet. I can rearrange my surgery schedule to make sure I take good care of them.
Me: Sigh... Okay.

I am in a state of pre-op preparation:

  • My boyfriend bought me a streaming Blu-ray player so I can watch TV & movies on demand. I must decide whether Netflix or Hulu is best...
  • Half Price Books contributed several new books to my library.
  • I have moved my furniture around so I can move about more easily. I like my open floor plan!
  • My doctor has provided my disabled parking placard application - handicapped parking during the holiday season? Sweet!
  • I have arranged to stay at a friend's 1st floor apartment for 3 days post-op; I live on the second floor. 
  • My parents are coming to care for me for about a month. They will stay at a cozy little cottage at my apartment complex. Hallelujah! :)
Needless to say, I am a mess; I feel unprepared for what is about to happen. The surgery doesn't scare me at all... I have survived 3 surgeries. The thought of being unable to walk - even for a short time - is terrifying.

The Serenity Prayer is my new mantra:

PathGod grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.


Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;

Taking, as He did, this sinful world [my deranged feet]
as it is [as they are], not as I would have it [because I would have chosen Rihanna's 5-star rated feet on Wikifeet];
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

--Reinhold Niebuhr
December 1 is fast approaching...

No comments:

Post a Comment